Shannon & Waterman’s Tips on Preventative Maintenance
At Shannon & Waterman, we’re committed to guiding you through the process of not only selecting the best product for your home, but also to helping you maintain hardwood floors that will last a lifetime — and beyond. We’ve put together five guidelines to help you extend the life and preserve the natural beauty of your custom wide plank wood floors.
- Clean Routine: One of the easiest maintenance tips to preserve the quality of your floors is to get into a routine. Like any household chore, maintaining clean habits on a day-to-day basis keeps the maintenance duties from piling up. One of the easiest steps in preventative maintenance is to sweep up dust and dirt daily. This not only prevents scratching, but significantly reduces allergens in the home.
- Sharp Thinking: Minimize the number of sharp objects interacting with your floor. High heels and pet nails are common sources of damage to hardwood floors. By keeping your pet’s nails trimmed and removing high heels at the front door, you’re already extending the life and quality of your floor by leaps and bounds.
- Bright Ideas: Direct UV sunlight exposure can fade the color of hardwood floors. By adjusting blinds and shades during the peak hours of the day, you can preserve the color of your floor as it ages. Additionally, periodically rearranging furniture will help the colors of the floor age evenly.
- Prevention Inventions: Use floor protectors under your furniture to prevent scratches, scuffs, and burns. Dragging any large piece of furniture across your floor will likely damage your floor.
- Fast Action: Respond quickly if something is spilled on your wide plank wood floor. Promptly remove any spills or messes with a clean, white cloth or paper towel to avoid any lasting effects. Take care to use only proper surface cleaners to keep your floors in their best condition.
Our wide plank wood floors are innately durable, hard, and resistant to allergens such as dust and debris. Nonetheless, it’s always important to practice consistent, careful care maintenance so that your floors will perform at their best long-term.
If you have questions regarding the care and maintenance of your custom wide plank hardwood floors, don’t hesitate to contact our team. You can reach us at 844-315-2520 on Mondays through Fridays from 8 AM to 5 PM CST.
At Shannon & Waterman, we make luxury affordable by maintaining ownership of every aspect of our business directly. Without the added costs of outsourced manufacturing and logistics, we control expenses, achieve superior quality, and deliver beautifully customized floors at attainable price points.
Every newly crafted Shannon & Waterman wide plank floor has its beginnings in our family-owned, old growth forests. For generations, we’ve masterfully managed our forests for true sustainability—ensuring that we always have the mature trees necessary to supply the densely grown, stable, and generously proportioned wood to create the floors of your dreams. In addition, many of our products are FSC® certified.